Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sabar Je Lah Kaduk......




Ever since I tasted this recipe of otak-otak from The Meor Factor, I was hooked. I had never tasted it in Malaysia.... yeah yeah ignorant of me I know, I know.... The only otak-otak I had eaten back home was the ones they put fish paste inside the daun kelapa, but this was different. The reason it caught my attention in the first place was the use of "daun kaduk". I could almost smell it and the thought of eating it certainly made me salivating hmmm... yummy. When finally I cooked it, I was not dissappointed, the Meor Otak2, which I now fondly call it, was sooooo delicioussss...


So a few weeks ago, thinking that we had not eaten it for quite sometime, I told my dear husband(DH) to buy me fresh mackerel and daun kaduk. Besides we had visitors coming, I looked forward to impressing them with my newfound recipe :)


Me : Dapat beli ikan mackerel bang ?


That was my first question when DH got back.


DH : Tak sempat pergi kedai tu... tapi ada ikan tenggiri ketul kat kedai Oriental, abang beli la.


Ikan tenggiri?? They had ikan tenggiri?? Hmmm....my mind started thinking that maybe I should try the other recipe I found on the internet, they use ikan tenggiri or was it ikan tongkol?


Me : Daun kaduk ada ??


DH : Ada, abang beli.


Me : Bukan daun sireh???


DH : (getting exasperated) Bukan.... daun kaduk....


Yippee...... I was worried that he would buy daun sireh by mistake, after all they look similar. I told him to check with the assistant if he wasn't sure. Frankly speaking, I myself wasn't sure what it was called in Thai/Dutch, so how to ask them???


I started taking things out from the bag. Among them were some frozen fish. Where's the tenggiri?? I looked carefully at the packet, no this was no tenggiri.


Me : Mana tenggirinya?


DH : Tu la... yang frozen tu...


Sabar je la.....the ikan tenggiri turned out to be rainbow fish. I didn't think I had eaten a rainbow fish before (trying to imagine ikan pelangi in my mind, ada ke?). The fish was quite thin, and appeared long (since it's been cut to pieces), no colourful stripe found on the pieces. Maybe it's ikan parang, I thought. Well, I just had to try then... see how it turned out to be....


I searched again to the bottom of the bag. I didn't see any signs of daun kaduk. Don't tell me he left it!!!, I thought to myself.


Me : Bang.... mana daun kaduknya, tak ada pun dalam beg?


DH : Tak ada???? Ohh.... dalam beg satu lagi. Ni dia....


I quickly took the bag from him and reached inside and took the plastic wrapped daun kaduk....


What the.......???? It's not daun kaduk..... nor was it daun sireh.......


Of all the things he would buy, it was this.....



Daun keladiiiiiiii...............



Had he bought daun sireh, I would have understood, but this is daun keladi!!! Don't tell me he didn't know daun keladi??? What would I do with it??? Stirfried?? (that's what he suggested when I told him) The stalk didn't look edible either, otherwise I could try to make sayur keladi.


Hmmmm sabar je lah hai kaduk....


10 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

OMG! ROTFLOL!!!!! Adoi...moral of the story is - sendiri pergi kedai lah cik adik! My Mama says her recipe can be used for tenggiri as well. Tenggiri is, after all, Spanish mackerel. You can even use sardines (fresh, not canned). purrr....meow!

Cheqna said...

hahahahaha..having a good laugh early this morning! (sorry to ur hubby if he's reading this..)

good twist there, thot he really bought the daun sireh..hehe..so what did u make for your guests in the end?

cakap about ikan, best pulak if dapat nasi dagang pagi2 ni..hehe..

Yg lapar belum breakfast,

:-)

Nana said...

I have to google to know how daun kaduk looks like. Though I didn't know about the name, I can imagine the aroma of daun kaduk in otak-otak! Drooling already...
So, the next time you make the otak-otak, don't forget to take a picture of it to remind me again about the delicious nyonya food....:)

TK said...

I tersenyum sowang2 baca posting you ni..
I suka daun kaduk..Belah2 pantai timur byk guna daun kaduk. Rupanya dekat2 daun sireh..
Sabar je la kaduk ye..hehe

i amsterdam said...

Dear Cats,

Ha..ha.. lesson learned!!! Should have known he would do s'thing like that!!! I was half expecting him to bring back daun sireh, never2 in my mind I expect daun keladi!!! Maybe I should just stirfry it and let him eat it...

i amsterdam said...

Cheqna,

I'm glad u have a good laugh :D, don't worry he never read my blog :)

I memang duk pikir, kalau dia beli daun sireh, I nak rebus je.. boleh buat cuci2 kan... lama juga I simpan daun keladi tu... in fact siap google kut2 ada resepi daun keladi yg i x pernah makan... :D

i amsterdam said...

Nana,

Sebenarnya memang I ada ambik gmbq daun kaduk sebelum ni.. tapi lupa pulak nak letak... duk teringat daun keladi je :)

Tapi memang sedap otak2 tu. Daun kaduk kalau kat kg, mak I suka buat kerabu je, kadang2 kita celur buat ulam... sedap, memang I suka.

Next time, kalau dapat ketam fresh, I nak try ala Thai pulak, kukus juga ngan daun kaduk tu... ish.. meleleh air liur dah nihhh

i amsterdam said...

TK,

I pun gelak juga hari yg bersejarah tu.. :D, tak sangka betul nak dapat keladi... padahal punyala banyak keladi kat rmh arwah mak dia..tak kan dia x kenal kut...

Org pantai timur masak apa ngan kaduk tu?? Yg I tau, nasi kerabu je... teringin juga nak try new resepi nih... hmmm sedap...

RR said...

haaaaaa..kakak Shah..I ketawa besar bila I tengok daun Keladi...!!!Sarah sampai terkejut tengok I ketawa seorg-org depat PC....alahaaaaaaaiii cik Husband...oooi could imagine his face.....!!!haaaaaaaaa

salam Shida Rio

i amsterdam said...

Waalaikumsalam Dear RR,

Welcome to blogger's world!!

Well you know him... dengan selambanya dia kata "tak pa, buat goreng keladi" :D